Intro Sea Kayak / Learn to Sea Kayak - 2 days
- Course Start 9.30am.
- Sea Kayak Oban 6/8 Argyll St,.Oban PA34 5SG (this is right in the centre of town 5 mins from the station 50 metres from the water.
- Please arrive with your lunch.
- Introduce yourselves and what you hope to achieve.
- Introduction to the equipment, try sitting in several kayaks on dry land and then get on a sheltered piece of water and experiment with controlling the kayak.
- Spend the morning learning ways to control the kayak occasionally swapping kayaks to see the difference between them and see which suits you best.
- Relaxed lunch beside the water looking at maps and tide tables and other info to help with trip planning.
- Go on a trip in the afternoon. Visit places of interest improving skills along the way returning to the start.
- We usually finish on the water approx 4.30pm.
Sometimes just before we finish some people may want to try and turn their kayak over and see how easy it is to get out. We recommend you only do this if you have plenty of dry clothes for the next day or if you have somewhere to dry them. We never push people into doing this.
Off the water we discuss the programme for the next day and often arrange to meet for dinner in the evening.
- We start at 10am on Sunday or 9.30 if its a week day.
- We usually go on an all day trip carrying lunch and spare clothes in “dry bags” in the sea kayaks. First though we spend 20mins on a paddle ergo indoors looking at forward paddling technique in order to make your time on the water easier.
- Enjoy the wildlife, otters or dolphins and almost certainly plenty of seals. Perhaps explore some caves and stop for lunch on a beautiful beach.
- We can further discuss how you can continue kayaking after the course and what experience is useful before heading off with other sea kayakers and where are good places to go and what is within your capabilities
- We continue to coach your kayak control skills and ideally have you experience how they handle in small waves and light winds.
If this is just a 2 day course we will give you the option of trying to rescue an upturned kayak and return its occupant to their kayak. We will also look at other rescue scenarios and problem solving.